Nestled in the northeastern part of Colorado, Sterling may not be the most well-known destination, but it certainly has a charm and appeal that make it a hidden gem for those seeking a unique and off-the-beaten-path experience. From outdoor adventures to cultural exploration, Sterling has a lot to offer. In this guide, we’ll take you through some of the best things to do in Sterling, Colorado.
- Parks and Outdoor Recreation: Sterling is home to several beautiful parks and outdoor spaces that cater to nature lovers and adventure seekers alike. Pioneer Park, with its lush greenery and scenic walking trails, is a favorite among locals. Enjoy a peaceful picnic or take a leisurely stroll through this well-maintained park.Additionally, North Sterling State Park offers a plethora of outdoor activities. Boating, fishing, hiking, and wildlife watching are popular here. The expansive reservoir and surrounding landscape provide a picturesque backdrop for a day of outdoor fun.
- Overland Trail Museum: Dive into Sterling’s rich history at the Overland Trail Museum. This living history museum takes visitors on a journey through the past, showcasing the pioneer era and the development of the region. With exhibits ranging from old-fashioned classrooms to a blacksmith shop, the museum provides an immersive experience for all ages.
- Logan County Courthouse: Architecture enthusiasts will appreciate a visit to the Logan County Courthouse. This historic building, with its impressive neoclassical design, stands as a testament to Sterling’s enduring legacy. Take a stroll around the courthouse grounds and admire the timeless beauty of this architectural gem.
- Local Cuisine and Farmers Markets: Sterling boasts a vibrant culinary scene that showcases the best of local flavors. Explore the downtown area to discover charming cafes, diners, and restaurants serving up delicious, home-style meals. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the local farmers market, where you can sample fresh produce and homemade goodies while supporting local farmers and artisans.
- Annual Events and Festivals: Sterling comes alive with a variety of annual events and festivals that celebrate the community spirit. From the Logan County Fair to the Sugar Beet Days Festival, these events offer a chance to connect with locals, enjoy live entertainment, and experience the unique culture of Sterling.
- Golfing at Riverview Golf Course: For those who enjoy a round of golf, the Riverview Golf Course is a must-visit. This well-maintained course provides a picturesque setting for golf enthusiasts of all skill levels. Spend a relaxing day on the greens surrounded by the beauty of Colorado’s landscapes.
- Fishing at Prewitt Reservoir: Fishing enthusiasts will find paradise at Prewitt Reservoir. This serene reservoir is known for its excellent fishing opportunities, offering a variety of species to catch. Spend a day on the water, enjoying the peaceful surroundings and the thrill of reeling in your next big catch.
- Sterling Creatives: Immerse yourself in the local art scene at Sterling Creatives. This community art center features a gallery showcasing the work of local artists, providing a glimpse into the creative talent thriving in Sterling. Attend workshops or events to connect with the artistic community and even take home a unique piece of local art.
- Walking Tour of Historic Downtown: Take a leisurely stroll through the historic downtown area to appreciate the town’s architecture and unique charm. Explore local shops, boutiques, and cafes, each with its own character. Don’t forget to snap some photos of the well-preserved historic buildings that add to Sterling’s distinct atmosphere.
- Disc Golf at Pioneer Park: Pioneer Park isn’t just for picnics and walks; it also offers a disc golf course. Gather your friends and enjoy a game amidst the natural beauty of the park. It’s a great way to combine recreation with the outdoors, providing a unique and fun experience for all skill levels.
- Attend a Local Rodeo: Experience the true spirit of the West by attending a local rodeo. Check the event calendar for rodeo dates and witness thrilling rodeo competitions, including bull riding, barrel racing, and roping. It’s an authentic taste of Western culture that you won’t find in many other places.
- Explore Pawnee National Grassland: For those seeking a more rugged outdoor adventure, Pawnee National Grassland is a short drive from Sterling. Explore the vast prairies, sand dunes, and unique rock formations. Hiking and bird watching are popular activities, and the expansive landscapes provide a peaceful retreat into nature.
- Sterling Public Library: If you’re a book lover or simply appreciate quiet spaces, spend some time at the Sterling Public Library. Explore its collection of books, magazines, and local historical archives. It’s a welcoming place to relax, read, or engage in quiet study.
- Rocky Mountain Airshow: Check the event schedule, and if you’re lucky enough to be in Sterling during the Rocky Mountain Airshow, don’t miss the chance to witness awe-inspiring aerial displays. The airshow brings together aviation enthusiasts and offers a thrilling experience for the whole family.
Sterling, Colorado, may not be the first name that comes to mind when planning a trip, but its combination of outdoor adventures, rich history, and community warmth make it a destination worth exploring. Whether you’re interested in hiking along scenic trails, immersing yourself in local history, or simply savoring the flavors of the region, Sterling has something to offer every type of traveler. Pack your bags and get ready to uncover the hidden treasures of Sterling, Colorado.